Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Originality in the culture of copying


I wrote a weekly column for the popular papernstitch blog for a little more than a year called "Craft Venture." My last post (in May) was about originality in a culture of copying.

I'm fascinated by the concept of copying as a cultural norm. Love it or hate it, once something becomes ingrained culturally, change is very difficult to achieve.

Following is my original post. I'd love to hear your thoughts! Amy at Pikaland wrote about copying today (she's written a series of excellent posts on the subject). It's a challenging subject on many levels, which makes it all the more worthy of discussion!

---

Two topics sure to ignite passionate discussion in the world of art and craft are originality and copying. What a perfect topic for my last Craft Venture post on papernstitch!

I’ve thought quite a bit about what I’m calling “the culture of copying” in the handmade community. I’m not alone, as 198 (as of this writing) comments on this very topic will attest, on a recent decor8 post on this very topic!

There are so many facets and levels to defining what constitutes “copying.” Are we talking about actual copyright infringement? Trademark violation? Exact materials and colors that a competitor used? Tracing? Jumping to join the latest popular trend in art or craft?

No comments:

Post a Comment